Tonight I finished the first box with high voltage parts. Had quite some work with this one since the standard mounting points weren't really useful and the box is also too low to make a plate for the bottom. Was also quite tricky to decide where to place everything, still is far from ideal but I can't really think of any better way.
In this are the main contactor (splits the battery pack in two to safely work on it and for emergencies), sensor plate for EV Display (gauge) and the main fuse. The orange cables I still have to connect, will do this once all of the boxes are done and placed in the frame. I did however connect the 12V part already, wasn't really much work for this box.
I also started with the last box already, this one's easier and will probably be finished tomorrow already. Meanwhile 15 of the 24 batteries are also charged already. So this weekend I hope to have them all charged. Then I can finally start placing them in the boxes and in the frame.
Today I finished the second box. It's also completely stuffed now with only relays.
First I made a plate again to which I could attach all of the circuit boards. And with all of those spacers inbetween the circuit boards are stacked together as close as possible.
All wires connected again like in the diagram that I made a while ago. There are quite a few.
It all barely fits in the box. With this one I'll also add a cable gland so all of these wires can go outside. And I'll spray it black myself tomorrow. Wasn't really planning on using this one, that's why it wasn't sprayed together with rest of the boxes.
Meanwhile I'm also busy charging all of the batteries one by one to the same level. Takes about 1,5 hour for each battery so it'll still take me a while.
Now I still have to finish 2 more of these kind of boxes, only after that I'll start with the battery boxes.
Today the mounts for the controller and top case were placed. I still really like the look of them.
I also put part of the temporary aluminium enclosure around the controller and placed it on the mounts. While it's an ugly enclosure I think it looks much better than before now it's matte black. It still is a shame that the controller itself won't be visible for now though, untill I can make something else for it.
The charger is also attached. This is hanging nicely in there as well now.
I think I'll start with charging the batteries one by one at the same level tomorrow. Meanwhile I can continue filling up the other boxes with components and connecting some wires again.
Today was a very productive day. The quad bike is nicely standing on 4 wheels again. This morning I started with attaching the motor to the rear swingarm. I just needed a rubber hammer to get it on there because of the thick layer of paint on the blocks and plate but at least it's firmly on there now.
I also placed the new protective cover on it. Definately looks much better than the original.
Then I wanted to place the rear swingarm onto the frame. Wasn't really easy since it weighs about 15 kg in total with the motor on it. With the POM bushings in it it's also just a bit wider so I had to push the mounting points on the frame outward a bit. After that I was able to get it in pretty good with some help of the rubber hammer again and a few extra hands.
Shock with shock cover attached and the bearing house in the rear swingarm.
Then I placed the rear axle and added the rear sprocket and brake disc to it. Also placed the chain and tensioned it already.
And then I could place the wheel hubs and the wheels themselves. Finally the quad bike is standing on all 4 of its wheels again.
Also still placed the whole rear brake system.
And then I thought it was enough for today. Tomorrow afternoon and evening I'll continue again. What I did already notice is that the quad bike rolls much easier now than before. Think this has something to do with the new bearings. Always had to push it a lot harder when the old bearings were still in it. Or perhaps the brake pedal for the rear just wasn't properly adjusted, this is also quite better now I think.
Just another picture of how the quad bike looks like right now. Really starting to look like something again.
Posted on 28 September 2014 at 12:22 am (CET)
As promised, another (late) update today. The aluminium parts were sprayed today and are back home. I really have everything here at home now so it only depends on me now how fast the quad bike will be finished. Here are some pictures from after the spraying. My sister has really done a good job again, it all looks very nice again.
And here they are back home all nicely put together. I'm happy that I won't have to get back any more parts because it's really full here now.
Ofcourse I immediately continued building it up again. First I placed the complete front brake system. Just like it came out without having to remove even one brake line it went back in again.
Then I greased and placed the steering shaft and track rods. Also attached the handlebar with the gauge plate on it since I won't be placing the fenders yet for the test ride soon (front fender can only be placed when the handlebar is off).
And I placed all of the gauges and switches on it, looks very nice again.
Tomorrow I'll continue again, I think the rear swingarm might be going in.