Posted on 22 September 2014 at 11:24 pm (CET)
Tonight I continued again. The wheel hubs with brake discs and the bumper are now attached. And the quad bike can stand on the ground again at the front since the wheels are also on it already.
Also placed the POM bushings in the rear swingarm already so it's ready to get attached as soon as the motor is on there. But untill then the quad bike still has to stay off the ground at the rear.
The front brake system and the track rods I also can't attach for now. The steering shaft and handle bar has to be attached for this first. But the part the keeps the steering shaft in place will be sprayed together with the aluminium parts. This part also got back from the sandblaster very late, that's why it hasn't been sprayed yet. Think I can only continue with a few of the black parts now. Meanwhile I'm running out of space here, the quad bike keeps getting bigger but there are still many parts on the floor. So I'll first have to see how I can deal with that.
Posted on 22 September 2014 at 12:25 am (CET)
Today I managed to solve the problem with the car pretty fast so I still had some time this evening to continue with the quad bike. I greased all of the ball joints some more and placed new dust caps on them. Then I just continued a bit longer than usual so I could still attach both of the steering knuckles and upper swingarms. It's really starting to look good already. Also those black POM bushings really match well with the color of the frame. I think with white POM bushings it wouldn't have looked as good.
Tomorrow I'll continue again with the wheel hubs, brake discs and the wheels themselves. I only can't attach the rear swingarm yet, the motor will have to go on there first but I need the aluminium parts for that. So this will still have to wait. I can already place some of the black parts though and maybe even start with the batteries already. In any case I have enough to do now.
Today was a very exciting day again. All parts of the frame were sprayed in the beautiful color Bianco Canopus. I've seen this color on pictures with Lamborghini's often but never on a frame so I really had no idea what it'd look like. But I'm really happy that I chose this color. It looks really great, especially when there's some light shining on it. And my sister has done a really good job again, don't think anyone could get it any better looking than this.
As usual here's a picture again before the spraying. The layer of epoxy is a bit sanded here so it already looks like matte white.
And after the spraying. Much light in the spray booths so it already looked very nice.
Wrapped everything again to get it home without any damage. It all barely fits in my car.
At home I unwrapped everything again and right away I placed a fender on it to see the combination of the 2 colors. I think it looks really awesome. I made these pictures with flash so you can see a little how this color looks like with some light shining on it. But outside with sunlight, and also with you own eyes, it looks even better.
Tonight I already started building it up. First I placed the new SKF bearings and glued the magnet for the speed sensor.
Then I attached the lower front swingarms with the POM bushings in it and the shocks to the frame. Pretty fun knowing that this is finally the last time attaching everything.
Also placed the shock covers already. Looks a bit odd still but I kinda have to see it when everything is attached.
The plan was to spend the whole day tomorrow to continue building it up but unfortunately I have a problem with my car that has to be fixed before Monday so I think I'll be working on that the whole day tomorrow. So the quad bike will still have to wait a bit.
In about 2 weeks the last parts will also be sprayed. These are all of the routed aluminium parts. So I'll have to be patient with those again but if they turn out the same way then it's definately worth the wait.
Posted on 7 September 2014 at 11:39 pm (CET)
This weekend all of the black parts were sprayed. I think it took more time to hang and stick everything than the actual spraying but it's very nicely done again. First a picture before the spraying again.
And here everything with 2 matte black spraycoats.
Close-up of the biggest battery box, can see very good how nice they've all become.
To be sure we let the battery boxes dry with normal temperature for a day. They should be able to handle a bit of heat but I've already had so many problems with them that we just didn't want to take any risk of something coming loose again. Tonight I went there again to take everything home. First we wrapped everything so nothing would be damaged during the ride home and at home I could unwrap everything again.
All parts of the frame will be next, in that nice matte white color. But these will only be done in 2 weeks so have to be patient again. Meanwhile I can continue a bit with some of the black parts though. Just have to be very careful with them now.
Posted on 2 September 2014 at 11:00 pm (CET)
Posted on 2 September 2014 at 11:00 pm (CET)
The enclosure that will come on the controller has been sprayed in black epoxy as well yesterday evening. This will probably only stay on it temporarily till after the road inspection of the RDW. A different better looking enclosure will come on it then. But for now I wanted it to look good since there were quite a few scratches and fingerprints on this one. This will also become matte black.
All plastic parts were also sprayed with primer, so no epoxy for these. First a picture before spraying.
And after spraying.
I have yet to actually see it myself but on these pictures that my sister sent they're looking very nice already. This Saturday all parts that will become black will probably get their spraycoats. So it'll be very exciting again.