Posted on 20 July 2014 at 10:14 pm (CET)
This weekend I took the time to take on the frame. There were still some small parts of the old mounting points on there which I had already cut off last year. You can't see anything of them anymore now. I also removed a few other mounting points which aren't needed anymore and took off the paint in the spots where the new mounting points will be. So I really have everything ready now to get it welded, just have to wait a bit till the welder has some time.
Also made the corner profiles already which will be mounted across the frame. These will be carrying and dividing the weight of the battery boxes. It was just tricky to get it all to fit, I really don't have a millimeter to spare anywhere. So I just grinded them out a bit so the frame's tubes fit right in.
But now I can't really do all that much anymore till everything is welded. So I'll have to wait once again.
Posted on 17 July 2014 at 12:05 am (CET)
Posted on 17 July 2014 at 12:05 am (CET)
The less good news first. I wanted to remove the bearings and axle from the bearing house so I can soon place much better bearings of the brand SKF in here instead of the Chinese bearings. This just didn't go so well on one side, a piece of the bearing house broke off and there's a small crack as well. So I can't use this one anymore.
But I did get everything out so at least I know how everything fits together now.
Here's one reason already why I don't want to use these Chinese bearings. Just look at the difference between the 2 bearings, the one on the left has no grease at all in there while these are still new closed bearings. But they're bad quality anyway, these bearings break very quickly. Especially that one without any grease.
Meanwhile I already got a new bearing house. There were also bearings in this already but everything went well removing them this time.
And then the good news. All mounting points for on the frame and the battery boxes are finally done. Was quite a bit of work, especially since I had to make these to size using only a bench vice, hammer and file. But they can all hopefully get welded within a few days now.
The ones for the smallest battery box up front were the hardest because they needed a few corners and a part that's skewed. But they turned out pretty good, definately strong enough for the 2 batteries that are going in there.
I also made the holes in the front fender already with mounting points for the charge plate. Ofcourse I used rivet nuts for this again.
Hopefully another update soon once everything's welded.
Posted on 6 July 2014 at 01:56 pm (CET)
Much has happened again this week. I completely dismantled the quad bike so that all parts of the frame can be sprayed soon. Was pretty fun since I've literally had each and every part of the quad bike in my hands, I know exactly how it all fits together now. I've also come across certain things that I'll be replacing right away with better alternatives, especially the bearings and the bushings in the front swingarms and rear swingarm.
I was able to remove the whole brake system without even having to disconnect a single brake line.
And this is what the quad bike looks like right now, only parts everywhere.
I already removed the bushings in all of the swingarms. These are all still new bushings but they don't really look like that. These Chinese bushings also don't really work like rubber bushings are supposed to work, they're actually hinging in the swingarm itself instead of in the rubber so it's steel on steel. This will wear out very quickly, especially since there was no grease at all anywhere. The plan is to place POM bushings in here, works much better and lasts much longer too.
I also got some new parts again. These are all the wires that I'll need to make the whole wire harness.
There's also a handle switch and 2 mounting points for the mirrors. And also a seperate killswitch with cord so the high voltage will be disabled if I leave the quad bike in any way.
But the most important is that the gauge and charge plate are done and thanks to Geraets Metaalbewerking they turned out very nicely again. Everything fits perfectly again as well. I just can't really show yet how it'll all be mounted exactly since the quad bike is dismantled but to give an idea I've made a few pictures.
I'm working on making all of the mounting points to size now, these might get welded to the frame this coming week then.
Posted on 26 June 2014 at 11:48 pm (CET)
The corner profiles are all welded now thanks to Van Alphen Lasservice. Done very nicely again by the same welder that welded the blocks onto the rear swingarm back then. He also grinded off the welds on the outside already. I still had to grind some off myself on the inside to make everything fit well.
I just wonder how it'll fit once everything has been sprayed but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. There's also no clearance at all anymore now between the frame and the 2 big battery boxes so it's important now that the mounting points will get welded in exactly the right spots. But I'll still have to make them all, will keep me busy for a while.
Posted on 21 June 2014 at 11:14 pm (CET)
The corner profiles which are going to be holding the battery boxes in place are finally all done.
For the small box I had to do something different, this will be 2 seperate parts which can be attached to eachother and also to the frame. But you'll see this when it's welded, it's hard to explain.
Here's everything together. It all fits perfectly and is ready to get welded now. I'll only get these corner profiles welded first, it's a bit easier to see where the mounting points will have to come once everything's stuck together.
Hopefully this can be done coming week but after that it'll take some time again to make all the mounting points.