Posted on 6 July 2014 at 01:56 pm (CET)
Much has happened again this week. I completely dismantled the quad bike so that all parts of the frame can be sprayed soon. Was pretty fun since I've literally had each and every part of the quad bike in my hands, I know exactly how it all fits together now. I've also come across certain things that I'll be replacing right away with better alternatives, especially the bearings and the bushings in the front swingarms and rear swingarm.
I was able to remove the whole brake system without even having to disconnect a single brake line.
And this is what the quad bike looks like right now, only parts everywhere.
I already removed the bushings in all of the swingarms. These are all still new bushings but they don't really look like that. These Chinese bushings also don't really work like rubber bushings are supposed to work, they're actually hinging in the swingarm itself instead of in the rubber so it's steel on steel. This will wear out very quickly, especially since there was no grease at all anywhere. The plan is to place POM bushings in here, works much better and lasts much longer too.
I also got some new parts again. These are all the wires that I'll need to make the whole wire harness.
There's also a handle switch and 2 mounting points for the mirrors. And also a seperate killswitch with cord so the high voltage will be disabled if I leave the quad bike in any way.
But the most important is that the gauge and charge plate are done and thanks to Geraets Metaalbewerking they turned out very nicely again. Everything fits perfectly again as well. I just can't really show yet how it'll all be mounted exactly since the quad bike is dismantled but to give an idea I've made a few pictures.
I'm working on making all of the mounting points to size now, these might get welded to the frame this coming week then.
Posted on 26 June 2014 at 11:48 pm (CET)
The corner profiles are all welded now thanks to Van Alphen Lasservice. Done very nicely again by the same welder that welded the blocks onto the rear swingarm back then. He also grinded off the welds on the outside already. I still had to grind some off myself on the inside to make everything fit well.
I just wonder how it'll fit once everything has been sprayed but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. There's also no clearance at all anymore now between the frame and the 2 big battery boxes so it's important now that the mounting points will get welded in exactly the right spots. But I'll still have to make them all, will keep me busy for a while.
Posted on 21 June 2014 at 11:14 pm (CET)
The corner profiles which are going to be holding the battery boxes in place are finally all done.
For the small box I had to do something different, this will be 2 seperate parts which can be attached to eachother and also to the frame. But you'll see this when it's welded, it's hard to explain.
Here's everything together. It all fits perfectly and is ready to get welded now. I'll only get these corner profiles welded first, it's a bit easier to see where the mounting points will have to come once everything's stuck together.
Hopefully this can be done coming week but after that it'll take some time again to make all the mounting points.
Posted on 13 June 2014 at 01:06 am (CET)
Past few days I've been busy drawing the whole wiring diagram. I'm pretty sure everything will actually be connected like this now. Only those 3 wires of the Battery Management System I'm not really sure about how to connect them yet. These are for drastically reducing the power when the batteries are empty so you can't undercharge them. But there should still be enough power to get the quad bike off the road safely. This can be connected in a few ways so I'll still wait with this.
Also made 2 extra circuits in it with a few buttons and relays. The one on the top left is for switching between low power (Drive Eco), high power (Drive Sport) and Reverse. And the one in the middle is for starting and stopping the charge process when the charge plug is connected. I might still get an actuator for this so the charge plug will get locked with this circuit while charging.
Also have another new tachometer, this time one from Hong Kong for 10 euros. And third time's the charm, this one works perfectly.
For the rest I've still been busy with the corner profiles on the side of the covers. Have to make quite a lot of cutouts in them for the cable glands and bolts. So this'll still take me a while. But for this battery box they're all done, still 3 to go.
Posted on 5 June 2014 at 10:22 pm (CET)
The corner profiles for the rear of the battery boxes are done. Now I still have to work on the ones for the front/cover but that'll take some more effort since I have to cut a few parts out for the cable glands and bolts.
I also bought some extra enclosures to place some other high voltage parts in. Bit easier than making something myself again. The DC-DC converter, sensor for the volt/amp meter and the main fuse will come in this large one. It'll be placed where the gastank used to be. It really fits perfectly, took a good guess for the sizes. It only wasn't available in black so it still has to be sprayed.
And this smaller one is for splitting up the high voltage cables to the DC-DC converter and charger and for both a seperate fuse. It'll be placed where the 12V battery used to be. It fits nicely as well and there's still enough space for the big orange cables which will run to the motor.
Then I also still have this one for some 12V things (main board for the Battery Management System and a few relais). Think I'll just place this one on top of the large enclosure, there's still some space for it.
Tomorrow and in the weekend I'll continue again with the corner profiles so these can hopefully get welded next week.