Posted on 3 May 2014 at 12:26 am (CET)
Besides the battery boxes there's still something else that has to be attached to the frame, the charger. Today I checked how it would fit and what I'll have to make for this. Thought I'd show how it'll be placed, don't think I've showed this yet.
It'll be placed as high as possible so I can still easily get the large battery box in and out without having to remove the nerfbar, pedals and heel guards. But I won't bother thinking too much about how to attach this. There are already 4 mounting points on there (also 2 on one side but I'll have to cut these off since they're in the way). On the front I can just weld a thick steel plate at the top between the tubes and place 2 long studs down there. On the rear I can weld 2 mounting points on that tube in the middle and bend the mounting points on the charger itself straight down. Will be firmly attached like that I think.
And the idea I have for the battery boxes is just some corner profiles of 3 mm thick steel welded together with some mounting points on there. There'll also be mounting points on the frame itself and they'll be firmly attached like that. I'm not really sure yet if it'll actually be like this but I think it will.
Posted on 29 April 2014 at 11:31 pm (CET)
Some progress with the battery boxes again. Added EPDM rubber between the boxes and the covers, used a hole punch set to easily cut the holes into it.
And everything attached again, also added the cable glands. Wanted to see what it'd look like. The battery boxes are completely water- and dustproof like this.
I also placed them all in the frame for now. I'll have to find a good way to attach the battery boxes firmly onto the frame now. I was thinking to place some aluminium corner profiles around the boxes and make some mounting points on there. But I'm not sure if that can be done. These profiles can only be 1,5 mm thick, otherwise they won't fit in the frame anymore.
And a complete picture of it. Others place very big engines in their frames, I just place some plastic boxes in it.
Think it'll be quite a challenge to properly attach everything.
Posted on 18 April 2014 at 10:46 pm (CET)
This past week I've been busy finally finishing the battery boxes. Went pretty good, the covers are now attached. Just need to tidy them up a bit, spray them and add some EPDM inbetween and then they're really done.
First I sawed some new plates for the covers. The ones I already made didn't really fit anymore since I took apart the battery boxes back then and widened them a bit. I made these a bit bigger now so I could make them perfectly even with the boxes after attaching.
Just like with the clamps I drilled the holes through the covers and clamps to get everything properly aligned.
Then I made the holes in the clamps a bit bigger, added rivet nuts in there and placed rubbers on them. I also still glued those 2 extra pieces in the big battery box so the cover would stay closed on those places as well.
After that I could attach the covers on the battery boxes.
Also filed the covers already so they're even with the battery boxes, looks pretty nice now.
Don't have to do much with these battery boxes anymore now. The next step is finding a way to attach them to the frame.
Posted on 17 April 2014 at 01:25 am (CET)
Category: Website updates
Made some improvements to the website. Was planning to do this earlier but since I wanted to have the website online as quickly as possible I put these things on hold. These are the things that were improved.
- New picture gallery. It looks the same but it works very differently. The old picture gallery was quite slow when scrolling through the pages and I couldn't really find a good alternative. So I made my own, needs way less code and works at least 5 times as fast. The quality of the thumbnails is a lot better as well.
- Thumbnails next to the titles of all posts are actually thumbnails now. Before these were just resized. Loading times are much improved in quick view because of this. I also made these thumbnails as links to the related posts.
- It's now possible to enlarge the images on all pages, not just in the picture gallery.
- Fixed a few small bugs.
I completed the drawing of the mounts for the top case and rear lights. Also made a paper model of it again to see if it fits. It barely fits as it should.
First here's the drawing of how it'll be like. Ofcourse the real ones will look a little better with skewed edges and again an opening in the bigger part. The top 2 mounts are ofcourse for the top case, the bottom one is for the rear lights.
They just come out from under the fenders. I wanted as much clearance as possible between the mounts and the controller so it'll stay visible well. The top case will also be as low as possible and will be a bit tilted (about the same as the fenders), will look better than completely straight I think. Same for the lights, by default these are a bit tilted as well so I wanted to keep this about the same. It'll only be a little lower.
But it'll be easier to see once they're made. First I have to discuss with the metalworking company if it can all be done and if it's not too expensive. Will probably take a while before it's done I think, depends how busy they are.