Blog

Posted on 17 August 2013 at 10:24 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries, General
Posted on 17 August 2013 at 10:24 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries, General

The battery boxes are all put together again. And most important, the batteries fit well now. They're firmly held together but it's also still possible to remove them pretty easily. I just still need to get something else for pulling the batteries out, one of the cotton ribbons already teared while trying to pull a battery out (before I pulled the boxes apart when the batteries were in way too tight). I just want some of those plastic straps that get used for packaging, I just have no idea where I can get them. But they have to be very small (0,5 mm or less) otherwise the batteries won't fit again.

E-Streetquad Battery boxes put together again


E-Streetquad Battery boxes put together again


E-Streetquad Battery boxes put together again


Now I have to see if I'm going to weld them again or maybe try something different to make them sturdier.

Meanwhile I also got the clamps for the brake fluid hose so I placed this on again as well and filled the system with brake fluid. Have to wait and see now if this hose is resistant to dot 5.1 brake fluid but it should be.

E-Streetquad Battery boxes put together again

Posted on 15 August 2013 at 08:37 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries
Posted on 15 August 2013 at 08:37 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries

Today sadly a big setback. Was really happy that I was almost done with the battery boxes, but I'll have to continue with them a bit longer. Was planning to start with the clamps for the batteries today. For this I had to place all of the batteries back in the boxes. I only came to the conclusion that they didn't fit anymore. Apparently the boxes bent just a little while welding. Might have been my stupid mistake, should have just left the batteries in while welding. But I thought it could be done like this and I wasn't really sure if the batteries would like the heat so much. I only need like 1 mm or something to be able to fit them but there just isn't enough space. I've been lucky with one battery box though (in the last picture), they do still fit in this one. But the other 3 I've already torn apart to start over again with glueing and welding. It's only a bit hard to do since the plates are all bent.

Here's what they look like now.

E-Streetquad Big setback with the battery boxes


E-Streetquad Big setback with the battery boxes


E-Streetquad Big setback with the battery boxes


Think I'll be busy with these 3 boxes again for a while. The welds also weren't really strong enough so I'll have to see what I'm going to do with this.

Meanwhile battery box #1 is put together again. I melted the plates together at a lot of places with a soldering gun and glued on the inside again.

E-Streetquad Big setback with the battery boxes


Tomorrow the other 2 boxes.

Posted on 13 August 2013 at 11:07 pm (CET)
Category: General, Parts
Posted on 13 August 2013 at 11:07 pm (CET)
Category: General, Parts

Today I received a new brake fluid hose for between the reservoir and rear brake pump. The original rubber hose was sweating back then after I filled the system with dot 5.1 brake fluid. As a temporary solution I used a fuel hose so there wouldn't get any dust or anything in the system. But now I have a real brake fluid hose which should be resistant to dot 5.1 brake fluid. Apparently these are pretty hard to find, could only find them at some of the VW Beetle shops. And one at a bike shop but the diameter was too small (5 mm, I needed 7 mm).

E-Streetquad New brake fluid hose


E-Streetquad New brake fluid hose


Just need to get some new clamps since the old ones don't fit around this thicker hose. This hose is also long enough for 2, so I'll always have a spare.

Little by little I'm already preparing for the first testride which will hopefully happen very soon.

Posted on 12 August 2013 at 10:49 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries
Posted on 12 August 2013 at 10:49 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries

Continued again with the battery boxes. Yesterday I still glued the other small pieces, today the square plates. Now I just need tidy it up a bit and then the outside of the battery boxes will be all done. It's really starting to look like the drawing I made.

E-Streetquad All small pieces of the battery boxes glued up


E-Streetquad All small pieces of the battery boxes glued up


Today I was also finally able to bring the adaptor with front sprocket and both the rear sprockets to a metalworking company. These will hopefully be done quickly now.

Posted on 11 August 2013 at 06:01 pm (CET)
Category: Controller
Posted on 11 August 2013 at 06:01 pm (CET)
Category: Controller

I've been a little stupid. Today I thought, lets check again how the controller's enclosure fits before I actually have the mounts made. Well, I found out that I have a problem, the chain might not have enough clearance with the controller in this position. It's been a while again since I had the chain on so I didn't really think about this. I only checked if there would be enough clearance with the brake caliper and suspension.

E-Streetquad Problem with position of controller


Hard to see without the sprockets and chain but I measured it. The way it is now it'll definately fit but when the suspension compresses it might not. Wouldn't be so great if the chain would hit the controller then. But it's still too hard to tell so for now I'll wait with these mounts for the controller. First need to have the adaptors made and place the sprockets and chain on there. Only then I can really see how much space there is.