Blog

Posted on 12 July 2013 at 10:22 pm (CET)
Posted on 12 July 2013 at 10:22 pm (CET)

Finally some progress again. Or well, I'm back where I was one and a half month ago. The new adaptor for the front sprocket has been made. I asked for stainless steel but it's a steel one. Looking back at it this seems to be better anyway, I contacted some metalworking company about this. They said that stainless steel probably wouldn't be strong enough for this application. But it all fits pretty well now, also no more play between the adaptor and sprocket which was the case with the old adaptor. There's only a little bit of play between the motor's axle and the adaptor but it's very minimal. It'll be firmly attached anyway so I don't think it'll be a problem.

E-Streetquad New adaptor for front sprocket and new rear sprocket


E-Streetquad New adaptor for front sprocket and new rear sprocket


Just have go search for someone who has a wire cutting machine now to cut out a keyway in the adaptor and sprocket. Apparently this can't be done any other way. But after this I will actually have it the way I wanted it from the beginning.

Today I also got something else. A new rear sprocket, steel 44 tooth of a Suzuki GSX-R 1000.

E-Streetquad New adaptor for front sprocket and new rear sprocket


The aluminium sprocket will get a new life as an adaptor. I already drew it, just still need to get it routed. The rear sprocket can then be placed more inward and the chain will then run in a perfectly straight line. This is what it'll look like.

E-Streetquad New adaptor for front sprocket and new rear sprocket


And a quick picture of the whole quad bike after today.

E-Streetquad New adaptor for front sprocket and new rear sprocket

Posted on 29 June 2013 at 09:09 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries
Posted on 29 June 2013 at 09:09 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries

The last battery box is all glued up now. Was a bit tricky with that extra corner in it but I succeeded. The batteries are firmly packed but they're also still easy to remove.

E-Streetquad Battery box #4 all glued up and fitting box #3 and #4


E-Streetquad Battery box #4 all glued up and fitting box #3 and #4


Here you can see how these last 2 battery boxes will be placed.

E-Streetquad Battery box #4 all glued up and fitting box #3 and #4


Here all 4 together.

E-Streetquad Battery box #4 all glued up and fitting box #3 and #4


And a picture of the whole quad bike.

E-Streetquad Battery box #4 all glued up and fitting box #3 and #4


Unfortunately the motor is still off the rear swingarm and also no progress with the controller yet. Nothing has been done yet with the adaptor and mounts. No idea why it's taking so long this time. But it will come sooner or later. For now I can continue with finishing the battery boxes anyway.

Posted on 26 June 2013 at 11:46 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries
Posted on 26 June 2013 at 11:46 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries

Just as I thought, the last battery box is pretty hard to make. The sizes of the plates really have to be perfect for this one otherwise the batteries won't really fit well. But 2 plates are already glued now. Will take me 3 days to complete this one though since there are more plates than with the other boxes. Can't glue everything at once as the plates might move a bit because of the clamps.

E-Streetquad Continued with battery box #4


Hope to be done with all the boxes in the weekend. Then I will glue them all one extra time on the inside and weld them from the outside.

But they're still not ready then, the higher parts for the cable glands still have to be added around the holes. And the clamps to keep the batteries in place with all the holes to attach the covers. And some EPDM rubber inbetween. Think I'll still be busy with this for another week or two.

Posted on 25 June 2013 at 10:34 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries
Posted on 25 June 2013 at 10:34 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries

The 3rd battery box is all glued up now.

E-Streetquad Continued again with battery box #3 and started with box #4


And the plates for the last box are sawed. This one will be the most difficult to put together since it isn't just a rectangle, there's another corner in it. But I think I'll succeed with that as well.

E-Streetquad Continued again with battery box #3 and started with box #4

Posted on 24 June 2013 at 10:42 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries
Posted on 24 June 2013 at 10:42 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries

The 3rd battery box is being made as well now, first 2 plates are glued.

E-Streetquad Continued with battery box #3 and fitted box #1 and #2


And here you can see how the first 2 battery boxes will be placed. They barely fit, but there's still some space if I'd have to add some aluminium L-profiles around them. In any case, there will have to be quite some welds on the frame to be able to attach them.

E-Streetquad Continued with battery box #3 and fitted box #1 and #2