Posted on 16 December 2012 at 09:18 pm (CET)
Today I checked the weight of all parts I've taken out. I wanted to know if the weight would stay equal or maybe a bit heavier. And apparently it will get a bit heavier after all but still nothing to worry about for passing inspection. The weight balance will probably stay around the same I think, still hard to tell.
Weight of original parts (with empty gas tank).
Expected weight of parts after conversion.
I also still changed the layout a bit, one battery that I had placed above the charger I moved to the front. Should fit pretty well there and this way I'll have some more space around the charger for better heat dissipation while charging.
Posted on 15 December 2012 at 10:15 pm (CET)
Category: Wiring (12V)
Today I checked the 12V wiring and tested if all the lights and tachometer works.
First I had to remove all tape so it would be easier to see how the wire harness is connected.
Everything worked well, except 2 wires that were switched in a plug but that was easy to fix.
I'm just not that happy with this wire harness since the color codes don't really match with some of the components. It's also soldered together pretty badly and the plugs aren't even waterproof. I'm thinking of just making a complete new wire harness instead of using this one. It's a bit more work again but it'll be worth it in the end.
Posted on 9 December 2012 at 07:15 pm (CET)
I finished making all the paper models for the batteries, charger, controller and motor. Was a lot of work but I really think this is the easiest way to measure if it all fits.
It all has to somehow fit in this frame.
This is what I tried first. Since the controller is the biggest part I placed the model for it in the biggest space, where the engine used to be. However I wasn't able to fit quite a few batteries this way and not even the charger. The motor would fit very nicely in the rear swing arm though.
On the second try I did find a way to fit everything. Controller hanging on the rear, charger fits perfectly in the middle and all batteries would fit. But I'm still not completely satisfied with this layout since it will be hard to secure the real parts to the frame this way.
But either way I will have to remove some of the mounting points and the battery tray off the frame that are in the way. I won't be needing them anymore anyway. So that's what I'll be doing next.
Posted on 3 December 2012 at 12:00 am (CET)
Today I've been busy removing the last part from the frame, the engine. Only problem was the carburetor, some hose and the exhaust still being in the way so I had remove these first. I also still removed the radiator.
Now it was finally time to remove the engine. While it went easier than I thought since the engine is pretty lightweight I was still happy to have this cart on wheels here so I could easily roll it out of the way.
The frame is all empty now. For the rest I don't think I'll have to remove anything else for now.
Posted on 2 December 2012 at 01:00 am (CET)
Continued disassembling again. I was able to remove the whole wire harness now and the rest of the electronics. I also removed the nerfbar and hielguards so I'll have some more space to remove the engine. Ofcourse I also had to remove the chain for this.
Frame is almost empty now. Only the radiator and engine left. But I'm stuck with lots of spare parts now. For now I just put them in boxes and hung up some of the bigger parts. I'll have to go and make something soon so I can store everything properly.
Meanwhile I also returned the white fenders and received the red side ones.
Seeing as I also have an idea already which batteries I will be using (CALB SE 70 Ah) I started making some paper models. This way I can easily see if and how they will fit in the frame as soon as the engine is out. Quite some work to fold and glue them all, pretty much like in kindergarten. But it'll be all worth it.