Blog / General

Posted on 13 August 2013 at 11:07 pm (CET)
Category: General, Parts
Posted on 13 August 2013 at 11:07 pm (CET)
Category: General, Parts

Today I received a new brake fluid hose for between the reservoir and rear brake pump. The original rubber hose was sweating back then after I filled the system with dot 5.1 brake fluid. As a temporary solution I used a fuel hose so there wouldn't get any dust or anything in the system. But now I have a real brake fluid hose which should be resistant to dot 5.1 brake fluid. Apparently these are pretty hard to find, could only find them at some of the VW Beetle shops. And one at a bike shop but the diameter was too small (5 mm, I needed 7 mm).

E-Streetquad New brake fluid hose


E-Streetquad New brake fluid hose


Just need to get some new clamps since the old ones don't fit around this thicker hose. This hose is also long enough for 2, so I'll always have a spare.

Little by little I'm already preparing for the first testride which will hopefully happen very soon.

Posted on 20 July 2013 at 05:03 pm (CET)
Category: General
Posted on 20 July 2013 at 05:03 pm (CET)
Category: General

I received a color steel sheet with the new color the frame will get. Here it is in combination with the bordeaux red fenders.

E-Streetquad Color steel sheet for new color of the frame


E-Streetquad Color steel sheet for new color of the frame


Bianco Canopus of Lamborghini, the best looking matte white color there is. The pictures don't really show how great the color looks though, but it really does look great. Just do a search for it on Google, there are some better pictures there of the color. I only haven't seen this color on a frame yet so it'll still be a surprise how it'll look like.

It'll only still take a while before the frame will be sprayed. This can only be done after everything that still has to get welded is actually welded. And I don't really know yet where exactly everything needs to get welded. So still need to have some patience.

Posted on 23 June 2013 at 10:40 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries, General

Today I had to place the fenders on the frame again to see on which side I'd have to make the holes for the cable glands in the 3rd battery box. Took a few pictures of the whole quad bike. Think it looks pretty nice, the white frame and bordeaux red fenders. I was first planning to spray the frame black but now I think I'll keep these colors, only the frame will be matte white instead of the shiny white it is now.

E-Streetquad Fenders on frame, continued with battery box #2 and started with #3


E-Streetquad Fenders on frame, continued with battery box #2 and started with #3


But back to the battery boxes again. For box #2 I glued the last 2 plates. Will have to let this harden again. For box #3 I sawed the plates but can't glue them yet, didn't have enough clamps left. So I can't do this untill tomorrow.

E-Streetquad Fenders on frame, continued with battery box #2 and started with #3


E-Streetquad Fenders on frame, continued with battery box #2 and started with #3

Posted on 25 May 2013 at 08:30 pm (CET)
Category: General
Posted on 25 May 2013 at 08:30 pm (CET)
Category: General

Today I tightened the chain. Usually this should be very easy to do but it took quite some effort here. When the bearing house was in the front position I could see it wasn't possible to take out another link.

E-Streetquad Chain tightened and another modification needed


But when I turned the bearing house as far as possible backwards the normal way the chain still wasn't tight enough.

E-Streetquad Chain tightened and another modification needed


It was also very difficult to turn the bearing house. I was even unable to move it at all at some point. The cause of this turned out to be the plate that the brake caliper is attached to. Took this off and it was a lot easier to turn the bearing house. Just still not far enough to tighten the chain. But after that I did still find a way to tighten it a bit more than is possible the normal way. I attached the brake caliper's plate again but outside of the part that keeps it in place. This way I could turn the bearing house just a bit more. And it turned out to be just enough, the chain is tight now.

E-Streetquad Chain tightened and another modification needed


But there's still a problem, I saw that the chain isn't sitting in a straight line. This will still have to get fixed, probably with an adaptor so I can move the rear sprocket a bit more towards the swing arm. I can't move the front sprocket any more to the outside because of the frame. What could be an even better idea is to turn the current sprocket into an adaptor and get a new sprocket from a known brand. This way it'll be a lot easier in the future to get my hands on a new sprocket instead of having a custom one made again.

E-Streetquad Chain tightened and another modification needed

Posted on 23 May 2013 at 11:35 pm (CET)
Posted on 23 May 2013 at 11:35 pm (CET)

Today I was able to continue building. I received the adaptor and sprockets. They all fit perfectly.

E-Streetquad Adaptor and sprockets done


E-Streetquad Adaptor and sprockets done


E-Streetquad Adaptor and sprockets done


E-Streetquad Adaptor and sprockets done


E-Streetquad Adaptor and sprockets done


Also checked how the chain would fit. Could shorten it quite a bit.

E-Streetquad Adaptor and sprockets done


Took a while to shorten it since I don't have the tools for this but I succeeded anyway.

E-Streetquad Adaptor and sprockets done


Now it just needs some more tension but it was getting a bit late already so I'll do this tomorrow. Could be that I still have to take 1 link out, not really sure if I still had the bearing house in the front position. It has quite a bit of play right now. But from what I can tell the chain is sitting in a straight line, didn't even have to adjust the adaptor. It just sits all the way on the axle.