Blog / General
Tonight I detached the rear swing arm partially and fitted the motor. I knew that it would be a close fit but it really only has a few millimeters to spare.
Seen from the side it all fits well, some space left even.
Seen from the rear, not a lot of space but I think it's enough to still be able to mount the sprocket on there. The sprocket will stick out of the axle just a bit to get the chain aligned with the rear sprocket.
But then on the other side, I think it's 2-3 mm of space there. It's just barely enough as long as there won't be any play in the swingarm.
I'm happy that it fits just like I planned. Now I have to get some mounts made.
I also still received the new banjo bolt with sensor for the brake lights. So I replaced this one as well.
Posted on 3 March 2013 at 07:35 pm (CET)
Seeing as the enclosure for the controller is all done now I checked if it would fit in the place where the exhaust silencers once were. There's enough space up to the brake calipers but the brake line is in the way though. I was able to turn this around so it would point down a bit instead of up. On the picture it might seem as if it's very tight but it actually isn't, it's just nicely rounded. Think it's even better than original now, not much movement when the suspension compresses.
There's enough space now since the brake line is at the same height as the brake caliper.
I also broke down the old brake and clutch lever, cut off the parts for the levers and rounded it off nicely. I only kept the mounts for the mirrors.
And they still fit well on the handlebar, just have to respray them in black.
Today I split the braking system. Took me quite some time since I was having a hard time getting all of the brake fluid out of the system with the hose I used for this. But I succeeded, that's what's most important ofcourse.
I moved the brake line of the rear brakes to the other side of the swingarm, the electric motor should fit nicely in there now.
Just still have to buy a different banjo bolt with sensor for the brake lights to place on the rear brake pump. Can't reuse the current one as it's for a double brake line. For now I just placed a normal banjo bolt on there.
Since I had some time left I also made the charge cable already.
Posted on 14 February 2013 at 11:36 pm (CET)
Wanted to split the braking system last weekend but I found out that I didn't get the right brake lever. There's no way to lock it in place and act as a handbrake. I can't do anything with this one since I'll have no other way to prevent the quad bike from rolling back when parked on a hill (no gearbox).
ALG Motoparts already came with a solution, they'll send me a new one as soon as possible and I won't even have to return the current one. Great service. But I'll have to wait a bit longer now before I can split the braking system.
I should still receive some parts from Rebbl as well. The enclosure for the controller didn't really have the correct size. The pass through holes for the orange cables were more oval than circular. Because of this the rubbers would not fit. I could've gotten the plates replaced for free but this would take several weeks. Instead I will now get cable glands to safely guide the orange cables through there. These would cover the holes just fine. I still need many of these for the battery boxes anyway, so I ordered some extra.
I'm also checking if I can get different plugs for the charge cable and the charging socket that will be on the quad bike itself. They said I would get red ones for these, instead I got blue ones. I also can't really use the one meant as a socket since this is just a regular plug and there's no way to easily mount it. I know that there are different ones that can be used for this and are easy to mount. Will have to wait and see if I can get them replaced.
Unfortunately I still haven't heard anything about the motor, already taking longer than the expected delivery time. Sent them another mail, hopefully I'll know more tomorrow why it's taking so long.
Meanwhile I did upgrade my workspace a bit. I finally have a way to store everything properly now. Starting to look like a real garage now.
Been busy again today, I'm done cutting off parts of the frame now.
Upper engine mounts are gone as well now.
I will even out everything later on as I'll have to take everything apart anyway when the frame gets resprayed. Will be easier to reach those spots then.
Also still cut off the mount for the ignition coil. Wasn't really in the way off anything but it's no longer needed anyway.
Here's all the parts I cut off. The quad bike definately lost some weight already.
The battery tray might be placed back somewhere, still not sure if I want to keep using the lead acid battery for the 12V system. Thinking of getting 4 small 3.2V 10Ah lithium (LiFePo4) batteries and putting them in series. Much lighter, will last much longer and is even smaller with 4 of them together than the lead acid battery. But I will look into this later, the 12V wiring will be last on the list anyway.
Also checked again if the paper models fit well now. And they do.
Everything fits the way I want it now. There will just still be boxes around the batteries, hope there's enough space for these. Especially near the steering shaft, it'll be very tight there. For the rest I don't think I'll have any problems with it.
Maybe I still have to cut off a small piece of the front engine mounts since it's a pretty tight fit there as well. But I can only see if this is needed when the battery boxes are done.