Blog / General
Posted on 7 September 2014 at 11:39 pm (CET)
This weekend all of the black parts were sprayed. I think it took more time to hang and stick everything than the actual spraying but it's very nicely done again. First a picture before the spraying again.
And here everything with 2 matte black spraycoats.
Close-up of the biggest battery box, can see very good how nice they've all become.
To be sure we let the battery boxes dry with normal temperature for a day. They should be able to handle a bit of heat but I've already had so many problems with them that we just didn't want to take any risk of something coming loose again. Tonight I went there again to take everything home. First we wrapped everything so nothing would be damaged during the ride home and at home I could unwrap everything again.
All parts of the frame will be next, in that nice matte white color. But these will only be done in 2 weeks so have to be patient again. Meanwhile I can continue a bit with some of the black parts though. Just have to be very careful with them now.
Posted on 2 September 2014 at 11:00 pm (CET)
Posted on 2 September 2014 at 11:00 pm (CET)
The enclosure that will come on the controller has been sprayed in black epoxy as well yesterday evening. This will probably only stay on it temporarily till after the road inspection of the RDW. A different better looking enclosure will come on it then. But for now I wanted it to look good since there were quite a few scratches and fingerprints on this one. This will also become matte black.
All plastic parts were also sprayed with primer, so no epoxy for these. First a picture before spraying.
And after spraying.
I have yet to actually see it myself but on these pictures that my sister sent they're looking very nice already. This Saturday all parts that will become black will probably get their spraycoats. So it'll be very exciting again.
Today 2 layers of epoxy were sprayed on all of the sandblasted parts. Black epoxy for all the parts that will be matte black and white epoxy for all the parts that will be matte white. I was able to help with sanding some of the parts and mixing the white epoxy. But the spraying was ofcourse done by my sister. It really looks very nice already, would already love to take it all home.
I'm really curious now how it'll look like when the actual spraycoats are on there but I have to be patient for that. Next Saturday all of the black parts will probably be done though. The white parts will come after that and are also some more work.
Tonight I went to the sandblaster. All parts of the frame are done and all look the same now. I already left them all at the company where my sister works so she can start spraying it all. We put all parts together there, already looks pretty nice. First a layer of epoxy will come on it all, then all the spray coats.
The spraying will probably take a few weeks since everything will have to be done inbetween work or outside of working hours and it's quite a lot of work. But at least I know for sure that the result will be very nice. The coming weeks I do still have some things to do, first I can finally start cleaning the whole workspace and prepare everything for when the sprayed parts will come back.
Posted on 11 August 2014 at 12:12 am (CET)
Good news, I finally have everything done for sandblasting. This weekend I worked really hard to get everything to fit and also rounded off all corners and sharp edges.
First some pictures with everything in, the mounting points still weren't made to size here and still no corners rounded off.
And here with everything out, looks pretty nice. And it's also very strong, I'm really happy that I decided to go with 3 mm steel instead of aluminium.
Then I took everything apart again and placed all parts that have to be sandblasted together. There are quite a few parts.
So these are also the last pictures with that ugly glossy white and all those bare spots. Hopefully I can go the sandblaster this coming week already, I'll keep you updated.
Meanwhile I also had some new bushings made of the material POM. The small ones are all for the front swingarms en the 2 big ones for the rear swingarm. These are replacements for the bad rubber bushings (front swingarms) and needle bearings (rear swingarm). POM is very suitable for this, it's very wear resistant and smooth. Many quad bike riders use this material as replacement and are very happy with it. I still don't know myself since I can't place them yet till everything is sprayed.
I also got some new bearings for the front wheels and rear axle of the brand SKF. These will last much longer than the original Chinese ones that were in there.
In the bearing house I also had a slight modification made. The speed sensor of Trail Tech is quite a bit smaller than the original one and also has a different thread (3/8 inch). To be able to mount the sensor in the same spot a bushing was placed in there, works perfectly.
That was it again, hopefully another update soon with a sandblasted frame.