Blog / Parts
Today I got the motor mount and the blocks back. The adaptor and sprockets aren't ready yet, will probably still take another week.
Everything fits well now and both of the blocks are now sloped which looks a lot nicer than such boring straight blocks.
Only a small problem because of the bad welding by the Chinese. On the rear there's quite some play between the blocks and the swingarm. On one block it's around 0,3mm and on the other 0,7-0,9mm. Wonder if this really matters to get it welded properly or if I'd have to add very small plates inbetween.
In any case I already contacted a welder nearby, going to wait and see what he says about it.
Very bad news today, there's a problem with the delivery of the batteries. Supplier in China was acting up and because of that there's a now a very long delay, the batteries will be shipped to the company I bought them from on monday. Then it'll take another 8 weeks before they actually arrive I think.
Also not really nice of the company I bought them from to not tell me anything at all about this 8 weeks ago. I could get my money back if I'd find the batteries somewhere else but they're the only official dealer in Europe. I could maybe get them from the US, but I'll have to check the price because I don't think it'll get any cheaper.
Here in the Netherlands is also a company selling them but I have to pay 500 euros more in total so I don't think I'll do that. Rather wait another 8 weeks. If it actually remains 8 weeks that is.
I also got the blocks for the motor mount back this week but one of the blocks doesn't fit very well and can't be welded like this. So this has to be modified again and will probably take another week.
I already removed the rear swing arm so the blocks can get welded on there soon. Didn't have to detach a lot so this went rather easily. I only came to the conclusion that the swing arm hasn't really been welded straight by the Chinese, because of this the motor mount won't sit perfectly flat on there. Will still have to get those blocks modified anyway so I'll have to see what can be done to even this out. Seems better to me if it's completely flat for welding, don't want any welding defects because of it. Space between the mount and the swing arm isn't really much though, maybe not even half a mm, but still.
The 2 bottom mounting holes aren't aligned well either of that one block on the right making it impossible to attach. No idea how this happened since I can clearly see the correct marks for these holes yet they were still drilled too high. To fix this either the 2 holes in the mount itself have to be made a bit larger or a new block has to be made.
Both of the blocks still have to be modified anyway, I asked for them to be sloped on the rear but now they just go straight. Doesn't really look so good.
But there is one good thing today. I received a sample piece of the material I want to use for the battery boxes, 3mm thick ABS plastic.
In any case it's very sturdy so I think 3mm will be enough. Just still want to see if it's easy to weld and try some other things. If all goes well I can order a few plates.
I continued drawing since I have to wait again for a while.
The adaptor for the front sprocket will look more or less like this with the RPM sensor added. There will be 2 notches (or maybe just 2 bolts into it, don't know yet) in the adaptor which the sensor will pick up.
It's just a question of whether it fits with the sprocket and chain on it. There's not much space to work with there, also with the frame.
Another update today, very good news. I received the motor mount. It looks even better than I imagined, it really is a great looking mount. And even better, it fits exactly the way I wanted.
The measurements are exactly right, the mount sits perfectly flat on the motor and the mounting holes line up perfectly. Just still have to get some longer M6 bolts for the outer mounting points of the motor.
And it looks great on the rear swing arm as well. Just don't know yet if I'll get it sprayed just like the whole frame or that I'll get it anodized in a nice color. It should stand out a bit I think.
Had a look how the chain would fit since I wasn't sure that it would with the bolts sticking out. But as you can see it's no problem at all, fits perfectly. It just doesn't go straight now but on the rear it should come a bit more towards the swingarm. Can't really see this yet untill the sprockets are done.
I only don't have the steel blocks that will get welded on the swingarm back yet. They'll still be made this week I think. I also gave my friend both of the sprockets so the holes could be made in these. There will also be an adaptor made to be able to fit the front sprocket to the motor's axle. This will hopefully all be here next week.
Posted on 25 April 2013 at 06:23 pm (CET)
Today I received many fastening materials.
M6, M8 and M10 Nord-lock rings, mainly for all electrical connections and motor mount so they won't ever come loose. Rivets nuts with rivet tool and bolts for all of the battery boxes. Also bought some countersink drills since the rivet nuts are countersunk. It's a lot easier than trying to do this with a bit larger drill.