Blog / Frame
Posted on 20 July 2014 at 10:14 pm (CET)
This weekend I took the time to take on the frame. There were still some small parts of the old mounting points on there which I had already cut off last year. You can't see anything of them anymore now. I also removed a few other mounting points which aren't needed anymore and took off the paint in the spots where the new mounting points will be. So I really have everything ready now to get it welded, just have to wait a bit till the welder has some time.
Also made the corner profiles already which will be mounted across the frame. These will be carrying and dividing the weight of the battery boxes. It was just tricky to get it all to fit, I really don't have a millimeter to spare anywhere. So I just grinded them out a bit so the frame's tubes fit right in.
But now I can't really do all that much anymore till everything is welded. So I'll have to wait once again.
Good news after today! The motor is finally attached to the rear swingarm. The blocks were TIG welded onto it and it looks very nice. The welder also said that this weld would never crack. And even if it did, I could return to him and he'd repair it for free. So I think it's safe to say that it's definately sturdy enough. He did say though that the original welds on the rear swingarm weren't so great and those could crack some day, but well it's a Chinese quad bike so you never know what to expect.
Here are some pictures.
On the bottom the rear block was welded entirely as well, only the front block is welded about halfway since he couldn't reach it that well. But it's sturdy enough anyway. Don't really expect to ever get any problems with this.
I also attached the rear swingarm with motor back to the frame again. And then I came to the conclusion I was very lucky with the welding. Between the motor and suspension is only about 2 mm of space. Thought I'd have a lot more space there. But I'm in luck, it's just enough. And when the suspension compresses the space only gets bigger so no problems with that either. This way I only have more space to place the charger and the batteries so it's all good.
Now to wait for the adaptor and sprockets.
When I wanted to attach the rear swingarm to the frame again I suddenly saw some brake fluid on the floor. The hose between reservoir and brake pump was all wet. So I removed it to take a look. It's very small rubber en apparently not really resistant to dot 5.1 brake fluid. For now I replaced it with a fuel hose but I'll have to get something else for this.
Today I removed the paint of the rear swingarm on the spots where the blocks will be welded and the mount will be sitting. Did this with a steel brush drill bit, went pretty good.
Tomorrow hopefully a picture with the motor finally attached on there. I will probably also get the adaptor and sprockets this week.
Been busy again today, I'm done cutting off parts of the frame now.
Upper engine mounts are gone as well now.
I will even out everything later on as I'll have to take everything apart anyway when the frame gets resprayed. Will be easier to reach those spots then.
Also still cut off the mount for the ignition coil. Wasn't really in the way off anything but it's no longer needed anyway.
Here's all the parts I cut off. The quad bike definately lost some weight already.
The battery tray might be placed back somewhere, still not sure if I want to keep using the lead acid battery for the 12V system. Thinking of getting 4 small 3.2V 10Ah lithium (LiFePo4) batteries and putting them in series. Much lighter, will last much longer and is even smaller with 4 of them together than the lead acid battery. But I will look into this later, the 12V wiring will be last on the list anyway.
Also checked again if the paper models fit well now. And they do.
Everything fits the way I want it now. There will just still be boxes around the batteries, hope there's enough space for these. Especially near the steering shaft, it'll be very tight there. For the rest I don't think I'll have any problems with it.
Maybe I still have to cut off a small piece of the front engine mounts since it's a pretty tight fit there as well. But I can only see if this is needed when the battery boxes are done.
Posted on 10 January 2013 at 10:32 pm (CET)
Today I continued again cutting off some parts of the frame.
Upper plate for mounting the radiator is gone.
I must say it's a pretty solid frame. Took quite some effort to cut through it.
Bottom plate for mounting the radiator also gone.
Bottom engine mounts also gone.
Only the upper engine mounts left now and then I'll have to even out everything a bit with the rest of the frame.
Meanwhile I ordered the motor at LMC Ltd. and some other parts. Will probably get it within 2 weeks. The controller sadly had a delay so I still have to wait a bit longer for that. As for the batteries, I'm still waiting before I order them since I'm not sure yet if I will actually go with the CALB SE70's.