Just tried fitting the batteries, I have good news and bad news.
First the bad news, they don't fit the way I've drawn them.
And then the good news, they fit even better. Instead of 5 battery boxes I will only need 4 since I could still fit 1 more battery where the radiator used to be.
The battery box with just the one battery will no longer be needed which I'm very happy about. I had no idea how to place the cable glands to let the orange cables pass through. On the top and side the frame would be in the way and pointing it towards the ground didn't seem like a good idea either.
So they all fit perfectly and there's still 6 mm of space everywhere as well for the battery boxes to go around the batteries. Here are some pictures again.
The big empty space in the middle of the frame is where the charger will come and on the sides of it probably some smaller parts of the BMS, display and main fuse.
I also hung up the controller's enclosure with cable ties. I want to have mounts made for this that will come down from those 4 points where the exhaust silencers used the hang from. But I'm not sure yet how I want to have this.
That was it for today.
Some more news today. I went inside to get something and suddenly heard a van stop outside. So I went to look at the door and it was the delivery man with 2 heavy packages from Amsterdam. What could be in there?
Was a surprise since I didn't even get a message yet that they were actually sent. But the batteries are finally here. And with connection plates, bolts and Nord-lock rings included.
Just not from that official dealer where I still had to wait 8 weeks but from New Electric here in the Netherlands which did have them on stock.
Here are some more pictures.
Also measured and numbered them all. As far as I could see there are no defects. And they're all charged at the same level. There are 11 batteries at 3.286V and the other 13 at 3.287V. For now I put them back in the box again. Will first have to try and fit them in the frame and then start making the battery boxes.
Posted on 25 May 2013 at 08:30 pm (CET)
Today I tightened the chain. Usually this should be very easy to do but it took quite some effort here. When the bearing house was in the front position I could see it wasn't possible to take out another link.
But when I turned the bearing house as far as possible backwards the normal way the chain still wasn't tight enough.
It was also very difficult to turn the bearing house. I was even unable to move it at all at some point. The cause of this turned out to be the plate that the brake caliper is attached to. Took this off and it was a lot easier to turn the bearing house. Just still not far enough to tighten the chain. But after that I did still find a way to tighten it a bit more than is possible the normal way. I attached the brake caliper's plate again but outside of the part that keeps it in place. This way I could turn the bearing house just a bit more. And it turned out to be just enough, the chain is tight now.
But there's still a problem, I saw that the chain isn't sitting in a straight line. This will still have to get fixed, probably with an adaptor so I can move the rear sprocket a bit more towards the swing arm. I can't move the front sprocket any more to the outside because of the frame. What could be an even better idea is to turn the current sprocket into an adaptor and get a new sprocket from a known brand. This way it'll be a lot easier in the future to get my hands on a new sprocket instead of having a custom one made again.
Today I was able to continue building. I received the adaptor and sprockets. They all fit perfectly.
Also checked how the chain would fit. Could shorten it quite a bit.
Took a while to shorten it since I don't have the tools for this but I succeeded anyway.
Now it just needs some more tension but it was getting a bit late already so I'll do this tomorrow. Could be that I still have to take 1 link out, not really sure if I still had the bearing house in the front position. It has quite a bit of play right now. But from what I can tell the chain is sitting in a straight line, didn't even have to adjust the adaptor. It just sits all the way on the axle.
Good news after today! The motor is finally attached to the rear swingarm. The blocks were TIG welded onto it and it looks very nice. The welder also said that this weld would never crack. And even if it did, I could return to him and he'd repair it for free. So I think it's safe to say that it's definately sturdy enough. He did say though that the original welds on the rear swingarm weren't so great and those could crack some day, but well it's a Chinese quad bike so you never know what to expect.
Here are some pictures.
On the bottom the rear block was welded entirely as well, only the front block is welded about halfway since he couldn't reach it that well. But it's sturdy enough anyway. Don't really expect to ever get any problems with this.
I also attached the rear swingarm with motor back to the frame again. And then I came to the conclusion I was very lucky with the welding. Between the motor and suspension is only about 2 mm of space. Thought I'd have a lot more space there. But I'm in luck, it's just enough. And when the suspension compresses the space only gets bigger so no problems with that either. This way I only have more space to place the charger and the batteries so it's all good.
Now to wait for the adaptor and sprockets.
When I wanted to attach the rear swingarm to the frame again I suddenly saw some brake fluid on the floor. The hose between reservoir and brake pump was all wet. So I removed it to take a look. It's very small rubber en apparently not really resistant to dot 5.1 brake fluid. For now I replaced it with a fuel hose but I'll have to get something else for this.