Blog

Posted on 10 January 2014 at 08:23 pm (CET)
Category: General
Posted on 10 January 2014 at 08:23 pm (CET)
Category: General

Unfortunately not much has happened with the quad bike project these past few weeks. For a few weeks I've been busy with a woodworking project and for the rest I also didn't really have much time.

But here's a small update. I'm planning to continue again with the project soon. Because of the woodworking project the quad bike got covered in a layer of dust. So I washed it completely for the first time, the white frame is shining nicely again.

E-Streetquad Just a small update


E-Streetquad Just a small update


Also bought a quad bike cover so this at least won't happen again. Fits perfectly now, hopefully still does when the fenders and mirrors are on.

E-Streetquad Just a small update


For the rest not much news just yet. Will hopefully change soon once I get some more time again. I'm really looking forward to continue with this project again.

Posted on 13 October 2013 at 10:45 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries
Posted on 13 October 2013 at 10:45 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries

The clamps are now all attached to the battery boxes. Was pretty exciting, didn't want to make any mistakes now I'm this far with the battery boxes.

First I marked where the holes should come exactly.

E-Streetquad Clamps attached to battery boxes


Drilled holes through the battery box and the clamps so the holes would be perfectly aligned.

E-Streetquad Clamps attached to battery boxes


Made the holes on the clamps a little bigger and countersunk for the rivet nuts.

E-Streetquad Clamps attached to battery boxes


Rivet nuts in. Did I already tell how great I think these things are?

E-Streetquad Clamps attached to battery boxes


Bolts in, it all fits well and is firmly attached. The batteries won't be going anywhere.

E-Streetquad Clamps attached to battery boxes


But ofcourse I won't leave any metal so close to the batteries, so rubber caps go on there. This also makes the rivet nuts waterproof.

E-Streetquad Clamps attached to battery boxes


Here from the outside. Only had to move the fastening holes a bit where the pieces for the cable glands are. For the rest it's 2 batteries for each bolt everywhere.

E-Streetquad Clamps attached to battery boxes


Unfortunately I had to deviate a bit from the drawings. In the smaller battery boxes I could only use 1 bolt to attach the clamps (but again 1 bolt for each 2 batteries). Otherwise it wouldn't be possible to firmly attach the cover since I want to use 2 bolts on each clamp for that (4 in the bigger battery boxes). It's sturdy enough anyway, especially when the cover still gets attached to them.

E-Streetquad Clamps attached to battery boxes


Total picture, the clamps are attached everywhere now.

E-Streetquad Clamps attached to battery boxes


Next step, attaching the covers. Will be done the same way with rivet nuts. But I don't know if I have time for it again this week. Otherwise probably next weekend.

Posted on 12 October 2013 at 11:34 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries
Posted on 12 October 2013 at 11:34 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries

Today I could continue again.

The small partitions are all sawed and glued. Think it'll be sturdy enough like this.

E-Streetquad Reinforcing the clamps


Tomorrow I'll tidy them up a bit and make the fastening holes in them. The battery boxes are finally nearing the end.

Posted on 6 October 2013 at 11:00 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries
Posted on 6 October 2013 at 11:00 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries

Today I made the clamps for the 2 bigger battery boxes. I had to make openings in these for the cables to pass through. Unfortunately my router bit broke so I just did this with a small saw and filed it a bit. Doesn't look as nice as it could have but these won't be visible anymore anyway once the battery boxes are closed.

E-Streetquad Continued with the clamps


E-Streetquad Continued with the clamps


Don't think I'll have much time this week though so I'll probably continue next weekend.

Posted on 5 October 2013 at 09:52 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries
Posted on 5 October 2013 at 09:52 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries

Haven't really done much for 2 weeks, didn't have that much time and I've been busy with some other things. But this weekend I continued again. It won't finish itself ofcourse.

I'm busy making the clamps (and the fastening points for the covers) in the battery boxes. They're all small parts so it's not really easy making them on the table saw. But it's going pretty well. These I made today for the 2 smaller battery boxes. Everything's glued, sturdy enough.

E-Streetquad Making clamps for in the battery boxes


E-Streetquad Making clamps for in the battery boxes


E-Streetquad Making clamps for in the battery boxes


Just have to reinforce them a bit (partitions) en then drill all the fastening holes. Then these 2 are basically done. Just still have to file, sand and spray.

Tomorrow I'll continue with the 2 bigger battery boxes.