Blog

Posted on 20 June 2013 at 10:17 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries
Posted on 20 June 2013 at 10:17 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries

The first box is all glued up now. It's very sturdy but I think I'll still weld the outsides just to be sure. Will also look better I think once it's sprayed, won't see the edges anymore then.
Also found a way to be able to get the batteries out once they're in, just put a cotton ribbon around one of the batteries. Can then pull this one out and just remove the other ones after that.

E-Streetquad Battery box #1 all glued up


This weekend I'll saw the plates for the other 3 boxes as well and glue them together. Then I can start with the smaller pieces.

Posted on 19 June 2013 at 07:06 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries
Posted on 19 June 2013 at 07:06 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries

Today I received the hole drill bits so I could continue again. First I drilled the holes for the cable glands in the plate. After that I glued it again. Now I just need to wait again untill it's hardened. The batteries do fit quite nicely already.

E-Streetquad Hole drill bits received and continued again with battery box #1


E-Streetquad Hole drill bits received and continued again with battery box #1


E-Streetquad Hole drill bits received and continued again with battery box #1


Think I'll start with the next box after this instead of adding the smaller pieces. These pieces are almost all the same size for all the boxes anyway so I could do that in one go later on.

Posted on 18 June 2013 at 12:18 am (CET)
Category: Batteries
Posted on 18 June 2013 at 12:18 am (CET)
Category: Batteries

Today I continued with box #1. The glue is hardened and it's very sturdy. Wonder if I really need to weld the outsides, already seems sturdy enough to keep batteries together. I glued another plate now. Just not the last one yet where I still need to make holes as I don't have a hole drill bit with the right size. I only placed it there for the clamps to have some more grip.

E-Streetquad Continued with battery box #1


Have to wait now untill I receive the hole drill bits I need.

Posted on 16 June 2013 at 11:24 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries, Drawings
Posted on 16 June 2013 at 11:24 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries, Drawings

Today I was finally able to start making the battery boxes. Here are the definitive drawings of how I'll be making them. With 4 battery boxes, should all fit nicely. Just still have to see where to place the sensor plate for the display and the fuse with fuse holder. Will probably be as close as possible to the emergency switch so I can keep the cables short.

E-Streetquad Started with battery box #1


E-Streetquad Started with battery box #1


I started with the biggest box. It'll be the most difficult so I just want to get it done and over with. Here are the plates, nicely tailor-made with my table saw. Only the back plate (as it'll be in the frame) and cover are slightly bigger so I have some play. This will be evened out later on.

E-Streetquad Started with battery box #1


I glued two of the plates now, will have to wait untill this is hardened.

E-Streetquad Started with battery box #1


Tomorrow I'll continue with the other 2 plates. I just still need to make holes on one side for the cable glands.

Posted on 8 June 2013 at 11:37 pm (CET)
Category: Electric motor
Posted on 8 June 2013 at 11:37 pm (CET)
Category: Electric motor

Was busy making a small plate for the RPM sensor, had to remove the adaptor with sprocket from the motor for this. But I couldn't get it off, seemed to be stuck somewhere while the set screw was loose. So I went to buy a set of disk pullers to still be able to take it off. After 2 hours and 2 broken disk pullers I finally managed to take the adaptor off. But what I saw next didn't really make me happy. The axle was damaged by the set screw that's in the adaptor.

E-Streetquad Motor's axle damaged and repaired


I think this happened because the set screw was tightened and after that I tightened the bolt on the sprocket. This also moved the whole adaptor and so this is the consequence. Partly my own mistake ofcourse but also the design with the set screw not working well. Wasn't my own idea anyway, I wanted to do it differently.

The adaptor itself is badly damaged as well by all the attempts to get it off with the disk pullers. Didn't mind it that much, was more important that the motor would not get damaged.

E-Streetquad Motor's axle damaged and repaired


I now want to have a new adaptor made that exactly matches my own idea. It'll have a keyway so I can just place a key between the axle and adaptor. A lot better and stronger that way. The sprocket will be attached the same way though. It will also get the exact size needed so that no set screw will be necessary. The bolt on the sprocket will keep it attached on the axle.

I checked if I could repair the axle a bit and it went pretty well with a fine grinding stone and some fine grit sandpaper. It'll ofcourse never be as new anymore but I don't think I could get it any better than this.

E-Streetquad Motor's axle damaged and repaired


E-Streetquad Motor's axle damaged and repaired


Now I have to wait again for the new adaptor. Meanwhile I can already start on the battery boxes though. Only having some trouble with plastic welding so I'll glue the insides first and maybe after that I'll still weld the outsides.