Blog / General
Posted on 14 September 2013 at 10:00 am (CET)
See here the biggest moment of the project up untill now.
Just on low power ofcourse with such small wires, 20V 50A maximum so 1kW. But I didn't really see 50A, think the wires are just too small for that and the 9Ah battery of the quad bike was empty pretty quick.
I also saw that the wheels are quite unbalanced. It could be many things though so I don't know what is causing it exactly. Could be that the rear axle is bent just a little, common problem with Chinese quad bikes. Could also be something with the bearings in the bearing house. And the wheels themselves aren't balanced yet either. It's also a straight axle and there's no weight on it, could be that it's bent a little because of that.
Tomorrow probably with some more power and hopefully a short testride.
Posted on 11 September 2013 at 10:33 pm (CET)
Today I also fitted the nerfbar and hielguards. Even though it won't be going fast, I think it's a bit safer than just having the foot pegs. Also fitted the saddle. Just had to place the rear fender as well otherwise the saddle would bend too much. Don't know how strong it is. Also screwed a wooden board on the frame for the batteries to sit on, just don't think I can fit 2 car battery's on there. But I'll see when it's ready. Also tightened the wheel nuts, almost forgot they were still pretty loose.
And I received some more stainless steel bolts, nuts and rings. Now I just still need the controller mounts.
Posted on 8 September 2013 at 11:03 pm (CET)
Today I continued preparing the quad bike for the testride. Temporarily fitted the display so I could at least see the voltage, current etc. while testing.
Works pretty straightforward, just plug in the UTP cable and you're done. There will still be a sensorplate somewhere on a cable of the batteries though.
Also adjusted camber and toe. At least by sight, when it's ready to go on the roads I'll really adjust it by measuring. For just testing on low speed it really doesn't matter, I just didn't like how it looked originally (positive camber and toe out). Would they actually drive the quad bikes like that in China?
Posted on 7 September 2013 at 12:30 am (CET)
Made some progress again.
These past few days I've been busy with epoxy glue on the battery boxes. Works pretty well, is very strong and fills reasonably good. Just not everywhere since the grooves are rather deep in some places. But might be able to just use filler for that before it gets sprayed. In any case it's sturdy enough now.
Today I tried fitting the batteries in all the battery boxes again. I got some green plastic straps from someone of the China Quad forum during a club meeting but unfortunately these were just a bit too thick (0,9 mm). But coincidentally I received a package today with some smaller gray plastic straps around them (0,65 mm). It were 2 straps with just the right length to make 4 pieces out of them.
In the biggest and smallest battery box they fit perfectly without having to modify anything. In the bigger one which has 6 batteries I had to file the top of one of the batteries a bit. The plastic enclosure is thick enough anyway and the top part kind of sticks out a bit on them all. Ofcourse I first put some tape on the terminals. Accidentally causing a short circuit with the file doesn't seem fun to me. But it worked, the strap fits in this battery box as well now, can still get the battery out with a little force.
But then the battery box with the corner in it. Been messing around with this box since the beginning and ofcourse it gave me some more problems now. Without a strap the batteries barely fit. There just wasn't enough space for a strap so I also filed the top of the batteries quite a bit. But unfortunately the problem isn't at the top but at the bottom of the battery box. There's just no space left there at all for a strap and I can't file the bottom of the batteries. So I have no idea what to do with this. For now I just left them in without a strap. Can still get them out by placing the battery box upside down but ofcourse this won't work once it's fitted onto the quad bike. I will try and find a solution for this later.
For the rest I also temporarily fitted the hall sensor and placed the throttle cable on it. This is only for the testride which will be soon, eventually I'll make something different for this and also in an enclosure so there can't get any dirt or water in there.
Now I just need to wait for the controller mounts, if all goes well they should be done wednesday and then I can finally attach the controller to the frame.
Was a bit bored meanwhile so I tried to replicate the controller in SketchUp. Think it turned out pretty good. I just can't get it to shine so it's very gray now.
And here on the mounts. Hopefully it actually fits this well.
That was it for today.
The battery boxes are all put together again. And most important, the batteries fit well now. They're firmly held together but it's also still possible to remove them pretty easily. I just still need to get something else for pulling the batteries out, one of the cotton ribbons already teared while trying to pull a battery out (before I pulled the boxes apart when the batteries were in way too tight). I just want some of those plastic straps that get used for packaging, I just have no idea where I can get them. But they have to be very small (0,5 mm or less) otherwise the batteries won't fit again.
Now I have to see if I'm going to weld them again or maybe try something different to make them sturdier.
Meanwhile I also got the clamps for the brake fluid hose so I placed this on again as well and filled the system with brake fluid. Have to wait and see now if this hose is resistant to dot 5.1 brake fluid but it should be.