Blog

Posted on 10 August 2013 at 08:09 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries
Posted on 10 August 2013 at 08:09 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries

Today I started glueing the small pieces on the battery boxes. Was planning to make these all even and straight first but I couldn't really do it with the tools I have here right now. So I'll do this later once they're all attached.

E-Streetquad Glued first few small pieces on the battery boxes


Tomorrow I'll do the same with the other holes, then I'll have to even out the top and add the square plates on there. Not really much work but I have to wait pretty long till the glue hardens.

Posted on 3 August 2013 at 07:15 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries
Posted on 3 August 2013 at 07:15 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries

Next step for the battery boxes.

I sawed all the small pieces. Only a bit less straight than I was hoping for but I'm happy I was able to do it all on the table saw. Would've taken much longer otherwise. Just need to file them all a bit now.

E-Streetquad Small pieces for the battery boxes


These small pieces are for the cable glands which pass the orange cables through the boxes.

E-Streetquad Small pieces for the battery boxes


E-Streetquad Small pieces for the battery boxes


First I'll have to make them all even and straight, after that glue them on the battery boxes and maybe weld as well.

Posted on 31 July 2013 at 10:18 pm (CET)
Category: Controller, Drawings
Posted on 31 July 2013 at 10:18 pm (CET)
Category: Controller, Drawings

I finished the drawing of the controller mounts, think they'll actually be made like this. In the drawing everything fits well at least.

E-Streetquad 3D drawing of controller mounts done


Just still have to think about it some more before actually having them made since there are still some small little problems with it. Will have to see if I can fix them.

Posted on 28 July 2013 at 09:49 pm (CET)
Category: Controller, Drawings
Posted on 28 July 2013 at 09:49 pm (CET)
Category: Controller, Drawings

Yesterday I evened out all the welds on the battery boxes. So I can continue with those again. But first something more important, the controller mounts. I'm drawing again to see how I want them but it seems to be a bit harder than I thought it would.

The idea is that the controller will hang from these 4 points where the exhaust silencers used to hang from.

E-Streetquad Looking for a solution for the controller mounts


Problem is just that a Chinese probably welded this together on a monday morning. There are a lot of inaccuracies in it. I tried to measure and draw this as accurate as possible.

E-Streetquad Looking for a solution for the controller mounts


There will have to be 4 mounts that go all the way down, there are 4 points where I can attach the controller.

E-Streetquad Looking for a solution for the controller mounts


But as I said it's all very badly welded. Here you see really well that the upper left part points a little to the right. And the left bottom part points some more to the left. The inaccuracy between the middle of both sides is 4 mm. That's quite a lot to me but it'll have to do.

E-Streetquad Looking for a solution for the controller mounts


Then we have the 2 rear parts, while these are actually straight looking from above, there are sadly more inaccuracies when looking from the rear. Left part points down 3 mm and the right one 1,5 mm.

E-Streetquad Looking for a solution for the controller mounts


But that's not all, some points are also welded a bit more to the left or right again. So it'll be very hard to make mounts for this that'll fit well. Only way to do this is by making adjustable mounts since I want to have 4 mounts that are exactly the same. More or less like this.

E-Streetquad Looking for a solution for the controller mounts


E-Streetquad Looking for a solution for the controller mounts


With slotted holes the inaccuracies shouldn't be a problem. Just still have to draw it a little better with nicer shapes.

Posted on 26 July 2013 at 09:03 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries, Parts
Posted on 26 July 2013 at 09:03 pm (CET)
Category: Batteries, Parts

All 4 battery boxes are welded up now. The last one with the extra corner in it was quite tricky again. Had to make whole constructions of wooden blocks to be able to support and keep them in place while welding. This one didn't turn out as good as the other boxes but it's still good enough.

E-Streetquad All battery boxes welded up and rubber vacuum caps


E-Streetquad All battery boxes welded up and rubber vacuum caps


E-Streetquad All battery boxes welded up and rubber vacuum caps


Most important is that they're all done now. Just have to even out the welds on them all now and then I can finally continue with the next step for the battery boxes.

E-Streetquad All battery boxes welded up and rubber vacuum caps


Meanwhile I also got something in the mail again. Had to search for a long time to find the right size for these and delivery took pretty long as well but I finally have them now and they fit perfectly.

E-Streetquad All battery boxes welded up and rubber vacuum caps


They're all rubber vacuum caps. In the clamps for the batteries that I'll be making inside of the battery boxes there'll be quite a few rivet nuts to attach everything with bolts. Like here on my testplate.

E-Streetquad All battery boxes welded up and rubber vacuum caps


Since these will be close to the batteries I don't want to take the risk of a short circuit. So on all rivet nuts I'll place one of these vacuum caps as isolation.

E-Streetquad All battery boxes welded up and rubber vacuum caps


Fits perfectly as the inside diameter is slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the rivet nuts. So they will always stick on there which makes it a lot safer. And the rivet nuts will be really waterproof like this as well.