Posted on 21 February 2013 at 10:11 pm (CET)
Posted on 14 February 2013 at 11:36 pm (CET)
Wanted to split the braking system last weekend but I found out that I didn't get the right brake lever. There's no way to lock it in place and act as a handbrake. I can't do anything with this one since I'll have no other way to prevent the quad bike from rolling back when parked on a hill (no gearbox).
ALG Motoparts already came with a solution, they'll send me a new one as soon as possible and I won't even have to return the current one. Great service. But I'll have to wait a bit longer now before I can split the braking system.
I should still receive some parts from Rebbl as well. The enclosure for the controller didn't really have the correct size. The pass through holes for the orange cables were more oval than circular. Because of this the rubbers would not fit. I could've gotten the plates replaced for free but this would take several weeks. Instead I will now get cable glands to safely guide the orange cables through there. These would cover the holes just fine. I still need many of these for the battery boxes anyway, so I ordered some extra.
I'm also checking if I can get different plugs for the charge cable and the charging socket that will be on the quad bike itself. They said I would get red ones for these, instead I got blue ones. I also can't really use the one meant as a socket since this is just a regular plug and there's no way to easily mount it. I know that there are different ones that can be used for this and are easy to mount. Will have to wait and see if I can get them replaced.
Unfortunately I still haven't heard anything about the motor, already taking longer than the expected delivery time. Sent them another mail, hopefully I'll know more tomorrow why it's taking so long.
Meanwhile I did upgrade my workspace a bit. I finally have a way to store everything properly now. Starting to look like a real garage now.
Posted on 9 February 2013 at 12:22 am (CET)
Today I received some more small parts from Rebbl. Nothing special really, but needed nonetheless.
Cable shoes and black heat shrink for the cable between the charger and battery pack. Also black heat shrink for the orange cables. Already received some yellow for this but I assumed black would be sent by default, apparently not. Since this will be visible on quite a few places I just want it to be black.
Also a sensor for the RPM of the motor. The ring with 4 bolts will be placed on the shaft of the motor and the sensor will see those 4 bolts then. Thought it'd come in handy to be able to see the RPM of the motor, there's also a safety feature in the controller that can limit the motor's RPM. I can use that feature with this sensor.
Orange cable loom, this will come around all the visible orange cables as extra protection. Not really necessary for the RDW inspection or anything but I just don't want anything happening to the isolation of the cables themselves.
Posted on 7 February 2013 at 12:55 am (CET)
Today I received a new brake lever and brake line from ALG Motoparts to be able to split the braking system.
I actually wanted to try with the current braking system at first (foot brake brakes all 4 wheels at once) but I already had to move the brake line from front to back out of the way to be able to place the charger. So I think it's better to just split the braking system while I'm at it. It's safer anyway when the front and rear brakes are seperated from eachother.
Also bought some dot 5.1 brake fluid with it for best performance. And some chain lube, will need it soon anyway.
Posted on 3 February 2013 at 12:35 am (CET)
Today I didn't really do that much, only checked if the real parts fit just as good as the the paper models. And yes it did, still fits well.
Here's a better picture of the controller. On the picture from yesterday you couldn't really tell how big it is.
And here with the enclosure around it. Sadly this is mandatory to pass the inspection at the RDW. Can hardly even see the controller anymore.
Still have to drill holes into it to attach everything. It's odd that this hasn't been done yet since this enclosure only fits around this controller. So for everyone who buys one the holes will be in exactly the same spots. It also doesn't look very nice, not everything aligns with eachother (especially the rubbers don't) and they could've cleaned it a bit. Can't really get it off, maybe with some white spirit.
Also had another attempt at the reverse system. I made it like this now.
It works.. a little. Still don't think this is really great. Will probably stop to look for a mechanical solution and start looking at something electrical.