Been busy again today, I'm done cutting off parts of the frame now.
Upper engine mounts are gone as well now.
I will even out everything later on as I'll have to take everything apart anyway when the frame gets resprayed. Will be easier to reach those spots then.
Also still cut off the mount for the ignition coil. Wasn't really in the way off anything but it's no longer needed anyway.
Here's all the parts I cut off. The quad bike definately lost some weight already.
The battery tray might be placed back somewhere, still not sure if I want to keep using the lead acid battery for the 12V system. Thinking of getting 4 small 3.2V 10Ah lithium (LiFePo4) batteries and putting them in series. Much lighter, will last much longer and is even smaller with 4 of them together than the lead acid battery. But I will look into this later, the 12V wiring will be last on the list anyway.
Also checked again if the paper models fit well now. And they do.
Everything fits the way I want it now. There will just still be boxes around the batteries, hope there's enough space for these. Especially near the steering shaft, it'll be very tight there. For the rest I don't think I'll have any problems with it.
Maybe I still have to cut off a small piece of the front engine mounts since it's a pretty tight fit there as well. But I can only see if this is needed when the battery boxes are done.
Posted on 10 January 2013 at 10:32 pm (CET)
Today I continued again cutting off some parts of the frame.
Upper plate for mounting the radiator is gone.
I must say it's a pretty solid frame. Took quite some effort to cut through it.
Bottom plate for mounting the radiator also gone.
Bottom engine mounts also gone.
Only the upper engine mounts left now and then I'll have to even out everything a bit with the rest of the frame.
Meanwhile I ordered the motor at LMC Ltd. and some other parts. Will probably get it within 2 weeks. The controller sadly had a delay so I still have to wait a bit longer for that. As for the batteries, I'm still waiting before I order them since I'm not sure yet if I will actually go with the CALB SE70's.
Posted on 4 January 2013 at 09:48 pm (CET)
Today I cut off a few parts that were in the way, also the battery tray.
Only had a small problem removing the battery tray. Couldn't cut it off completely because of the annoying angle so I tried bending it a bit to get it off. It worked, but sadly it also made a small hole in the frame. I'll have to get this welded up again. Hopefully this will give no further problems.
At least there's enough room for the motor now. The battery tray will probably just come a little higher, plenty of space there.
Still have to cut off the rear engine mounts and mounts for the radiator to create more room for the batteries. It's just that these are also placed at an annoying angle, can't really get to it easily. So I'll have to think about how to do this properly first.
Finished the whole wiring diagram now. Only still have to add the BMS but I can't yet till I actually have it here. No idea how it'll get wired up just yet.
The only thing I'm not sure about is the clutch lever. I want to use this in combination with the forward/reverse switch to be able to drive in reverse. According to the regulations of the RDW (Dutch road safety institute) you need 2 seperate actions for this (or only able to activate below 5 kmh but this will be too complicated I think) so I think this will be the easiest solution. Just don't know if it's possible this way or if I'd be shorting out the controller when the switch is in reverse and the clutch lever isn't pulled. So I'll have to ask around a bit before I actually connect it like this.
As I'm planning to make a new wire harness I already started making a wiring diagram. The 12V part is pretty much done now. Will probably have to add some more to it later on for the controller and BMS but still don't know exactly what.
I think I'll just add the 72V wiring into this as well, at least I have one clear diagram for everything then.
Meanwhile I've also placed an order for the controller, charger, cables and some other small parts at Rebbl, a company that also converts cars to fully electric. If all goes well I should have all of these within 3 weeks.