Blog / General
Posted on 31 January 2015 at 09:51 pm (CET)
Posted on 25 January 2015 at 11:46 pm (CET)
Since I really couldn't wait anymore I made some more space here to be able to test for a bit. Can't really turn or anything so it's just a forward and reverse test. But as you can see it's all working great. It's set to half power now and already wants to accelerate pretty quickly, just need some more space.
Hopefully I can have a real test ride outside and at full power very soon. It's all up to the weather now.
Posted on 24 January 2015 at 11:56 pm (CET)
Thanks to the snow I wasn't able to have a test ride today. Will probably still be here tomorrow as well so it'll have to wait till next week. Hopefully the weather will be better then. The quad bike is definately ready for it.
The wheels are aligned.
Meanwhile I also connected all of the lights. Worked perfectly right away. First I had only connected the brake and turn signal lights for the test ride.
I just noticed that the turn signal lights stay on weakly while flashing. Don't think it'll give any problems for the road approval test but I don't think it should be like this. Normally they should go out completely. It's a new turn signal relay so that can't be the problem.
Since the test ride couldn't go on I also connected the rest of the lights and the horn.
And the headlights. Right is low beam and left is high beam, both in combination with running lights. Just like original, will leave it like that for now for the road approval test. Daytime running light is also connected but didn't take a picture of it. It's nothing special, will also be changed after the road approval test.
This coming week I will tidy everything up and maybe even add the fenders already. For the rest it's just waiting for better weather.
Past few days I've been closing all of the battery boxes and they're attached to the frame as well now. They can't go anywhere anymore, can't get any movement in them at all. To be sure I still added some sealant inbetween the rubber and the boxes so they're completely waterproof. Even though it's all a bit thicker because of the few coats of paint on them it thankfully all still fits pretty good.
Now I could attach the footrests, nerfbar and heelguards again.
Then I tightened the nets in them again and placed the heelguards.
Starting to look like a real quad bike again. This is what it looks like right now.
Meanwhile I still added the extra relay. Enabling and disabling the charge process works perfectly now.
The only thing that's actually left now is aligning the wheels and adding the saddle. Then I can finally make a test ride with it. Think this will happen on Saturday if the weather cooperates a little.
Posted on 17 November 2014 at 12:07 am (CET)
Finally an update again. These past 2 weeks I've definately not just been sitting on my hands. Lets start with the small things.
I've placed the wires for the sensor to the batteries. These are very important wires, because of them I can always see the voltage of the whole battery pack and the capacity is also calculated like this. So that's definately nice to know while driving.
For the looks I bought some new mirrors, these match very well with the carbon mudguards. Looks much better than the standard chrome mirrors. Just have to wait and see how the view is. The only problem is that these don't have an E-marking, so I'll still have to use the chrome mirrors for the road approval test at the RDW.
But the most important is that the top case is pretty much done now. I've made a protective cover out of plastic that fits over the contactors and is closed off all around it. This way it's impossible to still touch anything with live voltage. Mounting points for this are glued in again. The DC-DC converter to convert 72V to 12V still fits very nicely on top of this as well.
But since this is open on the top and has live voltage on certain parts I also had to make a seperate protective cover for this. On the rear I drilled quite some holes so the heat can go out.
Then I was still left with the 12V battery. The plan was to place this as a square block as far as possible to the right but because of all the round shapes in the top case this was just too difficult. So I ended up placing it as an oblong shape in the middle. The sides are covered up again. I left the rest open, I think it looks pretty nice.
This will all still be sprayed black and then I can continue with the wiring again.